Saturday, January 29, 2011

Freezing Firenze


The weekend of the 22nd, most of us took our first road trip to Florence.  After a quick 2 hour train ride, we arrived and I've never been more ready to shop in my life.  I heard about all the stores and leather in Florence and I was on a mission.  Huge down side- Florence was so cold, I could barely feel my fingers.  We all got bundled up and headed out into the cold to go shopping.  I bought myself a leather jacket and a leather purse.  The leather jacket has now become my baby, I love it.  Shopping was difficult though because walking through the markets, we got hassled a lot and people were very pushy.


After shopping we saw the major sites (the duomo, the david, etc).  Florence was beautiful and was definitely centered around the arts.  I was really excited we got to see the david- but the experience was also a little traumatizing ... we didn't know you couldn't take pictures and got screamed at when they saw the flash OPS, good thing I knew how to say sorry in Italian...  After endlessly walking through art museums, a few of us went out to dinner at this really cute trattoria.  We all shared a bottle of chianti and had a really great meal (I got bruschetta and pasta fagioli soup).  After leaving dinner we went back to the hotel and then went out at night in the FREEZING COLD.  You have to walk everywhere in Florence, it's not like Rome where you are near 5 metro stops when you turn the corner.  So walking everyone made the cold a little harder to bare.  The next morning we walked around and shopped a little more then headed back to the train station to catch our ride back.  We basically saw Florence in 24 hours, which was exhausting!


I want to go back to florence again, when it isn't so cold because it made it a little harder to enjoy.  Florence is a very small city.  While I definitely enjoyed the trip, it also made me realize that Rome is the place for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment