Saturday, April 9, 2011

Benedetto!

On Wednesday, we all received tickets to go to the papal audience.  I wasn't sure what this entailed but I didn't want to give up such a great opportunity and"When in Rome".  So on Wednesday morning we got up at 630 am and headed to the Vatican.  We waited online till 8, when they opened the doors.  We had to go through quick security and then were able to sit in the fourth row (since we got there so early).  At 1030 the ceremony started. The Pope rode in on the Pope-mobile and waved his hands through the crowd, as everyone chanted his name "Benedetto".  Once the Pope took his place on the stage, he said an opening prayer. A few bishops got up to the podium and spoke in all different languages.  Then the Pope said a few prayers.  After, one bishop called different groups names out-loud if they were present.  Some groups would stand up and sing or play a song.  When he said "students from Loyola University Maryland", we all stood up and cheered and the Pope gestured the blessing hand movement towards our direction.  At the end of the ceremony, he blessed the rosaries and other religious objects we brought with us.  Seeing the Pope was such a great opportunity and I'm so glad I was able to go.

3 comments:

  1. Maggie, after reading this post, I just had to comment on the easter mass at the Vatican. I was so excited to hear that our entire program got tickets to go to mass with the Pope on Easter! That was.. until I found out we had to be there before 8 am to get a seat for a 10:30 service. That was a miserable morning wake up. But I put on my dress that I had been saving for Easter and walked to St. Peter's Basilica. Did you go to mass? If you did, you sat there just like me, for three hours listening to the readings in over 6 different languages. It was the most painful mass ever. Ever time we got to sit down, I fell asleep! Needless to say, it was an experience I will NEVER forget!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to the mass too! I got there late, so I had to sit by myself, which made it a little more boring than the people who had some friends there too, but it was one of the coolest things ever. I was really surprised that Easter in Rome wasn't as big as it is at home, and I got all dressed up to impress the Pope, and looked like an idiot. Oh well, at least it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience that we all got to see!

    ReplyDelete