Monday, March 28, 2011

“…But I can’t even touch my toes!"


On Thursday I went to a Yoga class with Michele.  Our host brother Niccolo is a yoga teacher and invited us to come to a class.  He teaches free classes at this anti-government establishment.  I was really nervous to go to the class because I had no idea what I was doing.

He gave us directions and we ventured out to this place called the “cinodrome”.  From the first impression this didn’t seem like the safest area in Rome.  We got to the building and there was artwork hanging all around.  We went outside, where there was a field and gardens in the process of being created.  Nicky is planting a garden to grow vegetables and fruit.

There were about 10 other people there.  We began the class outside with the sunset, then we moved inside when it got a bit colder out.  Inside we did the yoga accompanied by some Indian music and incense.  It was similar to a yoga class I attended at home but without the music and incense.  It was an interesting experience to see the difference between this class and one at home.  

1 comment:

  1. Ciao Maggie! Yoga class sounded like an interesting experience, let me know if you go again, and I'll tag along! I'll bet it was interesting to compare the class here to what you're accustomed to back in the U.S. It's fascinating to think that the U.S. and Italy share a ritual that actually originated in India! The wonders of globalization...

    ReplyDelete