Sunday, March 27, 2011

Picnic on the Ruins

Last weekend many of us decided that we should make mini trips around Rome to see all the sights.  One of our teachers here told us about Ostia Antica, an archeological site of an old ancient city in Rome.  I went with three of my friends to see these ancient ruins.  The site was only a few metro stops away and only cost 3 euro to get in.  We brought a bunch of food and had a picnic in the place where the ancient theatre used to be.  The city was still preserved pretty well, a lot of the ruins still had the street signs on them.  It was so crazy to see where people used to live.  The way the streets all intersected and lead to different other rooms almost reminded me of a shopping outlet, with passages at every turn.



I tried to imagine what life was like for the people that used to live here but it is so hard to imagine.  We are so used to our modern day world that I feel like I don't even know what life used to be like.  The idea that I am studying abroad in an ancient city that is still very much today preserved, is hard for me to grasp.  I could be walking down a street with ATM machines and McDonalds but then take a few more steps and find myself at the Colosseum or a 13th century Basilica.  This is something you can't really find in the United States.  The ancient city was a beautiful day trip, it was so interesting to travel back to see a glimpse of where people lived in ancient times.

No comments:

Post a Comment